Tar & Tenacity

For some reason...one nickel and seven pennies weren't enough. I HAD to dig out that penny in the crosswalk at 14th & U Street NW...I had to.

I didn't initially think I was going to do it (there were only a few seconds left on cross-walk-o-meter before the light changed). I walked past the penny thinking, "Someday I'll be back for you!" But for some reason...today was the day!

I waited for the light to turn green again...and then I had free run of the cross-walk for 44 seconds (thank God for the little blinking green man w/ the timer!). So I fished my keys out the side pocket of my purse and commenced trying to loosen Lincoln from the asphalt. This sucker was in deep! A few people walked by and looked at me funny (I saw these looks because I'm a multi-takser...I can dig for penny AND watch to see if I am about to get hauled away in a straight jacket for attempting to free a single penny as if it were a bloody fortune). One guy asked me what the hell I was doing to which I just replied, "It's a long story."

This thing wasn't budging. I looked up at the timer...26 seconds left. Plenty of time...no need to panic. But I was going to have to use a little more muscle (or a bigger key...I'd chosen the mail key, which although tiny in size, has a pretty impressive point on the end). So I took another stab at it (literally). I dug in as hard as I could an then all of a sudden...BLOOP...out it came. 21 seconds left to spare.

I looked both ways (I'm not sure why since I'd essentially been playing in traffic for the last 23 seconds without any concern for my safety) and made a dash to the sidewalk. It was my 13th cent for the day...hmmm.

A few minutes later I was home placing this tar covered penny in the "special stack" with his chewed up, oxidized, dirt covered penny-brothers. Some day I think I'll frame the worst of the worst (some of which are barely identifiable as pennies). If that won't be a conversation-starter...I don't know what will be!

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely brilliant. I wonder how far you would go for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your MOTHER, this doesn't surprise me! Am I letting the cat out of the bag if I share we caught you once ALPHABETIZING your dollar bills by serial number? You certainly have my support and the few cents I've found...who else could make this much fun out of one cent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's comforting to know that after supporting you through your minority, a university education and several years in the Army that you have found something useful to do with your time. That's my two-cents worth. I suppose I should mention I have acquired and additional 5 cents and two dimes!

    ReplyDelete

Penny Protocal

1. Pennies & other change must be discovered outside your home &/or other areas where YOUR money hangs around. It's about found money, people...not money you just forgot you had!

2. Taking pennies from other people's homes (or vehicles) constitutes stealing...don't do it!

3. Tip jars are strictly off limits.

4. Foreign curency cannot be accepted. If you find a Canadian quarter and can somehow convince your Canadian friend to buy the quarter from you at the correct exhange rate in American dollars...then bring it on!

The Penny Wall

The Penny Wall
A place to honor pennies (large & small) and what they add up to be!

The Spreadsheet...Who just throws money in a jar?!

The Spreadsheet...Who just throws money in a jar?!