It's Not Just a Penny...It's a Little Bit of Joy!

Remember the last time you had a really crappy day and thought maybe God hated you for something you did (or didn't do...be nice to that cranky neighbor, will ya?!). Life didn't seem fair because the new guy at work got a better cubicle than you did in the office move. Or maybe you got on the metro train only to realize as you pulled into the next station, you were going the wrong way. Hmph. Life really sucks sometimes.

But the next time you are having one of those days, refer back to the note below. I actually teared up the first 3 or 4 times I read it because it made me happy to think that something as simple as a penny could bring joy to someone. Someone with REAL problems (not that a small cubicle isn't a real problem...but start thinking of it as cozy and quaint...maybe you'll like it a little more).

Leslie~
Thanks for the penny update. Things here have been a little rough. We finally got a diagnosis for our little girl. She has Glucose Transporter Type 1 Deficiency Syndrome (GLUT1 DS). It's super rare (only about 200 cases diagnosed world-wide) but thankfully she has the type that is less severe and there is a treatment. It involves a low carb/protein HIGH fat diet (ketogenic diet). Anyway to my point (finally) we had her in the hospital trying to start the diet but failed (which was a huge bummer but we'll try again soon... she's a stubborn 2 y/o with a bit of an eating disorder). BUT...I found 11¢! It made my otherwise horrible week a little bit happy. I love your penny project because it really does help me focus on the little joys in life.

So my total is now 22¢. 2 dimes and 2 pennies. I'm on the lookout all the time but obviously people in Milwaukee keep better track of their money than people in the DC area (especially Bethesda!) so I haven't been finding much. Let me know how I send it in or what to do with it. It's in a little cup by my monitor so I don't have it with the rest of my change (it's special :).


My point is this...there is lots of joy in the world. And whether you have the world's worst cubicle or the metro delivers you to a foreign/wrong stop...try to find the joy in it anyway. Maybe, just maybe...you'll find 11 cents and a smile too. And you'll realize that little moment and those 11 cents are more special than a corner office or getting on the right metro train on time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - I know this isn't really related but my little girl has glut1-DS and your friend might get a whole load of support and help by joining the yahoo glut1-ds support group.

    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GLUT1DS/

    Best wishes

    Greg in the UK

    ReplyDelete

Penny Protocal

1. Pennies & other change must be discovered outside your home &/or other areas where YOUR money hangs around. It's about found money, people...not money you just forgot you had!

2. Taking pennies from other people's homes (or vehicles) constitutes stealing...don't do it!

3. Tip jars are strictly off limits.

4. Foreign curency cannot be accepted. If you find a Canadian quarter and can somehow convince your Canadian friend to buy the quarter from you at the correct exhange rate in American dollars...then bring it on!

The Penny Wall

The Penny Wall
A place to honor pennies (large & small) and what they add up to be!

The Spreadsheet...Who just throws money in a jar?!

The Spreadsheet...Who just throws money in a jar?!